Friday, April 9, 2010

Vices

Unfortunately, we all got em'...some more annoying, controlling, or even downright damaging than others.  One quasi-innocuous vice of mine that has been cultivated over almost my entire lifespan is my affinity for Diet Coke.  Even when traveling to the most remote villages up the Amazon River, I was sure I had a stash of Coca-Cola Light (the vastly superior Latin American version of Diet Coke with thrice the amount of carcinogens, incidentally, but I digress).  I have been true to Diet Coke f-o-r-e-v-e-r.

In my move to quit eating crap I can't pronounce, Diet Coke was on the "ax list."  Instead of quitting cold turkey, I've tried to wean myself off over the course of the last six months.  Granted, I should just be drinking WATER, but that's a whole other hydration battle for another post, but I have been searching for a carbonated replacement to my oldest fizzy friend...It's been a quest, actually.

Here are some of the passable "light" or "calorie-free" natural potions I've sampled thus far: Steaz (I know, the name kills me, too) has a product that is half green tea half carbonated fruit juice and is rather delicious.  Zevia's Black Cherry is a great option, but their other flavors are yuk.

One horrible, and I mean dreck-in-a-can soda, is Blue Sky Free Soda.  I still have four cans in my fridge...One was consumed by myself and the other unfortunate victim was our contractor, who tried valiantly to finish the battery acid to no avail.

But the BEST and most delicious soda I've tried and, of course the most expensive, is DRY Soda.  It's not sugar-free soda, by any means, but it's not crazy sweet and the flavors are aromatic and unique.  My favorite: Lemongrass, it's refreshing and has a bite to it, plus it's crazy fizzy...all a Diet Coke addict could want.

If you have any low sugar sodas you love, let me know!

2 comments:

  1. I love the Steaz soda, I also like the Boylan Sodas and Jones Soda (not sure if those are available in the SLC?) which are both made with real stuff.
    -Jones just came out with 'Zilch' which is their calorie free stuff, I haven't tried it but it might be worth a shot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lauren.
    I came across this site that I thought you might like. I have no advice on the soda since I find carbonated drinks repulsive. Good luck on your quest!

    http://thehungryherbivore.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for checking out Goldteef! I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...