Friday, September 10, 2010

Recipe of the Week: Herb Potatoes with a Mustard Sauce

First and foremost, I'd like to thank everyone who emailed and commented on my "Paris Shoe Conundrum!"  It really did help with my packing plans.  I have one little backpack to try to squish my bridesmaids dress and heels ALONG with enough clothes to last me five days...I'll keep you posted on the strength of the seams in my pack!

Secondly, sorry for the radio silence.  I'm pretty diligent about posting, but sometimes you get a call at three in the morning for work and you don't get to come home until five that evening.  THIS is why I am crossing an ocean to go to a wedding and travel with Shug.  Our boundaries have been encroached upon by our jobs and it's about time we get a break!

Thirdly, with the insanity of work, I haven't been able to cook as much.  And if I have had the opportunity to cook, it's been an under 15-minute meal (more on this next week).  But here is a little recipe I whipped up that's exceedingly easy to make, takes only about half an hour, and is really inexpensive to feed a crowd.

Shug and I have had moderate success in our garden this summer, but our herbs have taken off!  This recipe can accommodate whatever it is you have on hand, but I used lemon-thyme, chives, rosemary, and flat-leaf parsley.

Herb Potatoes with a Mustard Sauce
Serves 6-8
Ingredients:
3-4 lbs. new or waxy potatoes, like Yukon Gold, scrubbed clean and cut into chunks
Salt
2 shallots, diced small OR 1 small red or white onion diced and rinsed with cold water, drained well
3-4 generous tablespoons of mixed herbs like parsley, rosemary, thyme, chives, dill, etc.
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
2-3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Fresh herbs for garnish

Bring a saucepan of the potatoes and cold water that has been generously salted to a full boil.  Reduce to a vigorous simmer and cook until potatoes are easily pierced with a knife.

While the potatoes are boiling, in a large bowl, whisk the shallots or onions, mustard, olive oil and balsamic vinegar together until well combined.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Drain potatoes well and add to bowl with sauce.  Toss to combine and set aside.

Finely mince all of your herbs, setting a few sprigs aside for garnish.  Once the potatoes are cool, add the herbs and toss well to combine.  If the potatoes are too hot the herbs will discolor, no biggie if they do, it just won't look as pretty!  Spoon into a serving bowl and garnish with reserved herbs.  Can be served at room temperature or chilled.  Enjoy these easy, yummy potatoes!

1 comment:

  1. i love potatoes. mashed, roasted, twice baked, jacket - you name it. i've made betty crocker's recipe for zesty potatoes but THIS ONE with balsamic vinegar, onions ect. sounds and looks so yummy.

    really must make this asap. ty for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for checking out Goldteef! I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...