Tuesday, July 14, 2009

And our kids will be ashamed of us...

A few nights ago, Shug and I were decompressing after a harrowing day of weddingness. We flipped on the ten o'clock news to be greeted with a late-breaking story about this.

Even though we live behind what many deem the "Zion Curtain," we were surprised that a couple would be detained after just holding hands and a peck on the cheek on LDS Church grounds. Then we realized we KNEW these people! These sweet, loving, amazing people were HANDCUFFED and CITED for "inappropriate behavior".

The LDS Church contends that ANY couple engaging in public displays of affection would have received the same treatment. Oh, really?

I keep forgetting in the haze of wedding planning that Shug and I are so lucky to have the right to marry each other. We will have the right to see each other in the hospital in the event of illness, we have the right to share our health, car, home owners insurance benefits, we get mad tax breaks after we marry and file jointly...

We can walk down the street and hold hands and even kiss each other if we want to without the fear of being ticketed or arrested.

I am so lucky to live in a time where, as a woman, I hold the same rights as men do. But I realize that less than a hundred years ago, women didn't even have the right to vote or own land. I also realize that change was created by a paradigm shift, a slow and steady fight to gain equal treatment and legal rights. I listen to the stories my mumma tells me about the women's rights movement in the 60's and cringe at how "archaic" things were back then...

I'm looking forward to the day when I can tell my incredulous kids about how ridiculous the times were when people were arrested for LOVING EACH OTHER.

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for checking out Goldteef! I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...