Thursday, February 14, 2013

Natural Beauty: Lavender Oil

One thing I missed most about Goldteef was getting to dish about my favorite natural beauty discoveries and disasters (don't worry, more to come on that!).  One little epiphany I had was while dealing with my post-finals stress face...which means yicky cystic acne that takes weeks to resolve.  I'm sure my steady intake of treats and sweets didn't help matters much, but I can count on a really stressful time in my life manifesting itself on my face!

Enter soothing and serene essential lavender oil.  I've been using it for years to scent my sweet almond oil or grapeseed oil I use as a body moisturizer, I even have gone so far as to put it in my humidifier at night when I have a cold or need to relax.  I've never thought about putting it on my face!

One evening, after washing my sad and broken-out face, I thought I'd give lavender oil a whirl applied directly to my craters.  Now, before you go slathering essential oils all over your face willy-nilly, be warned that some essential oils are much too strong for direct application (I'm looking at you, tea tree oil!) and must be "cut" with a carrier oil, such as jojoba or coconut oil.  This means I was literally a skin-care-Columbus, applying straight lavender oil directly to my face.

I OOZE adventure, people.



There wasn't any stinging or burning in the minutes that followed application, so I headed to bed to see if any beauty sleep would help my condition.  I must say I was pleasantly surprised the next morning!  The inflammation and "angry" look to my breakouts had almost completely dissipated!  While it still took a good week for my bumps to go away, regular use of the lavender oil really helped calm the inflammation and redness.

I'm really just getting into the world of essential oils, but they seem to be having a serious moment in the skin care realm.  And Olio Lusso, I'm coming for you when I have a job and disposable income!

So have you tried any essential oils?  What do you use them for and what do you like best?

Oooh!  And Happy Valentine's Day!  I hope you get to spend it with people you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for checking out Goldteef! I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...