Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Acceptance

 

There is something unsettling about listening to models talk about their insecurities.  It seems like it is just a glimpse into a life style that is completely governed by something almost completely out of a person's control: their body.  

Yes, we can treat our bodies well with exercise and healthy foods, but I'm 5'7'' and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it.  I could get numerous plastic surgeries to my visage, but I will never have the bone structure of Giselle.  I can wish for the ebony complexion of Alek Wek, but I am stuck with my freckled pale skin.  Models have won (and lost, depending on how you look at it) the genetic roulette - they can make money off of these genetic abnormalities, but they are also prey to an industry that is as unforgiving as it is harsh.

I appreciated this clip for the fact that it references all of these issues: being different, inheriting traits that are marketable, and insecurities that come along with just not being a model, but being a woman.  

I tweeted about "throwing a party for my muffin top" yesterday and it was interesting to see how it was taken!  Instead of me hating on my muffin top, I'm going to learn how to dress to work with my curves.  Instead of vowing to change what isn't looked at as "beautiful," I'm going to embrace what makes me ME and appreciate all of the traits I really like (like my feet!)

What are some of your favorite traits?  It doesn't even have to be a body part, because we all know how a great sense of humor or an amazing brain can make a person attractive! 

2 comments:

  1. this is a wonderful post. i'm all about embracing my body--even the parts i'm not crazy about. i strangely love my toes, especially when they are painted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meh. I thought it was kind of bullshark. A comment about tall, thin women being imperfect is not enough to make me believe that have any insecurities are any valid reasons for those insecurities.

    You're tall and thin? Cry me a river. Society worships you, and I just can't bring myself to care about how all your boyfriends are shorter than you and your pants are never long enough.

    I like your sentiment, though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for checking out Goldteef! I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...