Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Jumping Back In.

Yesterday was a big day for me.  This is the last week of classes for my master's degree before graduation and I found out I was accepted to another master's program.  The program is another two years of insane coursework and, of course, tuition. 

I spent the entire day with my stomach on knots.  It was a crazy-competitive program and I got accepted!  But how could I ask Shug to take on another 2 years of lean living and stress?  This program is in an ever-expanding field, but I have a degree in hand that could lead to lucrative jobs in a sadsack economy.  I was so looking forward to not being in school, yet I was mourning my last days of academic discussion and discourse.  This program is something I really want to do.  And be good at.

Two years is such a loooong time, but it seems really short in the grand scheme of things.  Student loans are the bane and the lifeblood of my education.  I worried that my brain isn't going to be as sharp as it needs to be with the difficult coursework, but I feel I can work my butt off to get it to the level it needs to be.  I pretty much worried about everything.

So I jumped back in.  I accepted the position this morning and I start in the fall.  Two more years, or 21 months if we want to be exact, and then, maybe then, I'll be ready for adulthood;)!  Have you ever taken a leap in a different direction?  I only want to hear the positive stories;)!

5 comments:

  1. CONGRATS!!! That is so exciting Lauren.

    Not really the same level as a second masters degree, but when I decided to go to design school it was a big departure from anything I had ever thought of doing. I left my French degree at the U of U, my passion of skiing and working at Snowbird, and a boyfriend of 3 years. Not only that but assumed a huge-massive-gigantic leap in tuition, cost of living and work load. It was all SOOOOOO worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! It will be worth it in the end. Could you try to tackle one loan while you're back in school? That might make you feel better. Or could you work full time and do the new program? I don't know. I just know how student loans weigh on you, and I don't want you to be stressed. It really will all work out and will be so, so good for you in the long run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its really a wonderful post. i really like this post. Keep it up.


    Leather Jackets,
    Women Leather Pants

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren,
    That is so amazing! I am proud of you. Oh school...I only made it through my associates and called it good. I can't imagine going for that long!
    About 5 years ago I had applied to culinary school in Oregon (oh I love it there!) and was going to go. Tuition was $30,000 for an 18 month course. I love cooking and was excited for the change. Right around that same time, I went to the state fair with my parents and discovered a screen printing system/business opportunity. My dad and I went to the schpill about it and I signed up! The system was expensive but would promise a return on investment that culinary school may not have done.
    I went to training and have been running a printing business from home for the last 5 years, being my own boss, setting my own schedule and having the freedom to leave on a whim. It has been great (and hard) but oh so worth it. I mean, if I didn't do that, I couldn't be sitting here right now in my pj's while working!
    I love ya and I am proud of you. GO GIRL!
    Kenzie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all so much for your amazing words! It made me feel SO much better! xo.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for checking out Goldteef! I'd love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...